Geologic Research Tips for the DeLaMare Library
Are you seeking geologic information or geologic maps on a particular area?
With assistance from the staff, the following steps will help you to research geologic materials in the DeLaMare Library:
|IDENTIFY AREA | NEVADA | CALIFORNIA | OTHER STATES | WORLD | SUGGESTED TITLES|
- There are many areas of Nevada, the U.S., and the World for which there is no detailed geologic information. What may be found will differ greatly by area.
- Most maps are not in the UNR online catalog.
- Check a state map and/or atlas for the US and/or specific area to locate exact area if you do not already know the quad name.
- Determine state, county, 1:250,000, 1:100,000, 15' and 7.5' topo sheet name (be sure to identify the 15' map because the 7.5' sheets may be new).
- Note any specific place names in area of interest: valleys, ranges (Virginia Range, etc.), mountains, mining district (Comstock, etc.).
- To identify (metal) mining district names, see Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) Report 47 or web site: ftp://ftp.nbmg.unr.edu/NBMG/r47/r47.pdf
- Determine area with help of a NV atlas (on Map Ref. shelves):
- Nevada Atlas & Gazetteer G1520 .D4
- Nevada Map Atlas G1520 .N4
- Western Nevada Street Atlas G 1520 .S3
- Use the state topo index (on counter by NV topo drawers) to determine the quad (map) names for 15', 7.5', 1:100,000, and 1:250,000 maps for your area. Also note county name.
- UNR Online catalog - search by place names such as county or mountain range, valley, etc. Theses may have been done on the areas as well as NBMG Bulletins on the county, etc.
- NBMG has produced geologic/mineral resource Bulletins for each
Identify these several ways: online catalog, NBMG publications catalog index, GeoRef, Nevada File.
This may contain the most detailed information you find for a given area. Be sure to note bibliographies for additional references.
- Mining Districts and Mineral Resources, Francis Church Lincoln,
1923, is an excellent source of mining
(and, therefore) geologic references; arranged by county and mining district.
TN24 .N3 L5 Ref and bookstacks
- The NBMG and the W. M. Keck Earth Science and Mining Research
Information Center provide several online databases and lists:
- Interactive Index of Geologic mapping in Nevada:
Geologic Maps of Nevada online:
http://keck.library.unr.edu/data/GEOLMAPS/nbmg_geolmaps.htm (NBMG maps)
http://keck.library.unr.edu/data/GEOLMAPS/geolmaps.htm (USGS maps)
Bibliography of Geologic Maps in Nevada:
Index of Topographic and Geologic maps in Nevada:
Mining Districts of Nevada, NBMG Report 47
- Review the index of Nevada Bureau of Mines & Geology publications
through 1989. This is the most detailed index of NBMG publications. NBMG
Special Publication #12
Map & Ref desk: Z6034 .N44 T56 1991
- Search GeoRef to identify state publications, theses, government.
publications, books, proceedings, symposium, maps, etc.
NOTE: GeoRef does not index in depth maps in pockets of publications.
- Check the Nevada File (Ref area card file) by Subject.
NOTE: this file is an index, not a reflection of what is in the library. It is especially helpful for mining citations not found in other geologic references or databases.
- Search the NV Bureau of Mines & Geology online 'Consolidated List of References' related to Nevada geology.
- Andriot’s Guide to USGS Publications - latest on Map Ref: Z6027.U5 G8 Search rear section by state and then quad and area names; be sure to check under 15' quad name, not just 7.5'
- Stratford’s 'Index to Geologic Mapping of Nevada'; on Map Reference (geologic index shelves); multiple copies. Should now be largely overlapped by Andriot (cited above).
- Historic topographic and mining district maps of NV indicate some mines by name.
- NV geologic index brown envelopes; on Map Ref (geologic index shelves).
- Map card catalog - by area name in Subject section.
- Check WorldCat for maps, but be aware that it does not indicate what we have here in this library.
If you are not a geologist or familiar with geologic materials, you may prefer a more popular level of information. The NBMG county bulletin may be helpful along with the Suggested Titles and online materials listed in the Appendix below.
FOR NV MINING HISTORY: Check the online Catalog. It is often necessary to review more encompassing works to find small bits of information especially about mines and mills. See appendix of Suggested Titles below for more general titles on Nevada’s mining and geology including online materials.
- Determine area including specific topo quads by using the CA atlases on the Map Ref. Shelves and then the state topo index lying on counter by CA topo drawers.
- CA Geological Survey has published a 1:250,000 geologic map series which
includes a bibliography. CA geologic map website:
These are found under 'CA - geologic map' in Vertical Files, Map Library. There are also some revised sections done; filed under Regional Geologic.
- Andriot’s Guide to USGS Publications - latest on Map Ref:
Z6027 .U5 G8
Search rear section by state/quad and area names; be sure to check under 15'quad name, not just 7.5'
- Crotts’ Geologic Map Index (bound volume on Map Ref); search by quad name; be sure to check the 15' as well as 7.5'.
- CA Div of Mines Index to Geologic maps of California’ beginning with ...to December 31, 1956 on Map Ref. (geologic index shelves).
- CA geologic index brown envelopes; on Map Ref (geologic shelves).
- UNR online Catalog: search by place names such as county or mountain range, valley, etc. Theses may have been done on the areas but this library does not have many on CA.
- Search GeoRef to identify not only CA Geological Survey pubs, but also theses, government publications, books, proceedings, symposium, maps etc.
- Map card catalog - by area name under California in Subject section.
- Check WorldCat, but be aware that it does not indicate what we have here in this library.
- If you may want a more popular level of information such as the
'roadside guide' series to be found in the online catalog or other titles
listed in the Appendix below.
- To determine 15' and 7.5' quad names for other states, look in the state topo index on Map Ref.
- The DeLaMare Library has collected many western states geologic survey publications, but less for eastern states. Series published for each state will vary.
- Same steps as California, especial searching GeoRef.
- Many states have web pages which may provide online indexing.
- Map series are filed in the map VF drawers under the state.
- Search GeoRef by country and region or specific area names.
- Map card catalog for area geologic maps (by country, continent, region).
- WorldCat may be a good site to identify maps, but not indicate what we have here.
- Andriot’s Guide to USGS Publications - latest on Map Ref: Z6027 .U5 G8 for foreign maps compiled by the USGS. Search rear section by country name.
General titles on Nevada geology and mining; additional copies may be found in the Main library. Also check the online catalog by specific area name(s).
- Nevada mining history works which may contain a lot of details on specific mines:
- Individual histories of the mines of the Comstock TN25 .C6 N4
- Comstock mining and miners. Lord. HD 9536.U53 N46 1959
- Outline of Nevada mining history TN24 .N3 T558 1998
- Mines and mills of the Comstock region, western Nevada TN 24 .N3 A65 1989
- NV State Inspector Reports will simply state activity, but are very helpful for that. QE 137 .A12 Perm Reserve
- The History of the Comstock Lode 1850-1920 QE137 .A2
Nevada Place Names F839 .C37 1985 DLM Ref.
A history of the Comstock silver lode & mines. TN413 .N25 W9 Perm Reserve
- Mining Districts and Mineral Resources, Francis Church Lincoln, 1923, is an excellent source of mining with geologic references; arranged by county and mining district. TN24 .N3 L5 Ref and bookstacks
- General works on NV history which contain general mining
Thompson & West’s History of Nevada F841 A51 DLM Ref (use with Dr. Poulton's Index)
History of Nevada, Elliot F841 .E4
The Nevada Adventure, A History, Hulse F841.H81990 Main
Ghost town books, place name books (for specific county and Comstock)
- General geology of Nevada
Geology of Nevada, NBMG Special Report # 4 to accompany the...
Geologic Map Nevada TN24 .N3 A26 No. 4
'Generalized Geologic Map of Nevada'
'Geology of Nevada' Rock and Minerals Nov. 1999
full text: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/geonev.pdf
Geology of the Great Basin QE79 F54
- Interactive Index of Geologic mapping in Nevada: